DHHS POLICIES AND PROCEDURES
Budget and Finance
Travel and Conferences/Retreats/Workshops/Training
Current Effective Date:
Original Effective Date:
The purpose of this policy is to establish the administration and reimbursement of travel in support of official state business for state employees, boards, commissions, and non-state employees. This policy also includes the reimbursement of moving and relocation expenses.
- The definitions, conditions, and requirements for travel and conferences/retreats/workshops/training sessions are contained in section 5 of the State Budget Manual issued by the Office of State Budget and Management (OSBM).
- The definitions, conditions, and limitations for moving and relocation are contained in section 6 of the State Budget Manual.
- Division/office directors are responsible for the prior approval related to overnight travel to include lodging costs, including meals and excess lodging costs, if any, exceptions to use of super saver airline rates, reimbursement to prospective professional employees, attendants, conferences, and moving and relocation expenses. Each division/office director may delegate this responsibility. This travel is to be minimized by using cost efficient travel planning.
- Prospective professional employee reimbursement is limited to two (2) candidates per vacancy.
- All travel out of the country requires prior approval by the Secretary of the Department of Health and Human Services (DHHS).
- Requests for reimbursement must be submitted within 30 days after the month in which the expense was incurred or June 30, whichever is earlier.
- The DHHS Division of Budget and Analysis must approve any exceptions to this Policy.
- Any exceptions to the policy found in the State Budget Manual must be approved by OSBM. The request for exception must be submitted through the DHHS Division of Budget and Analysis.
- Requests for overnight travel, etc. are documented in writing. Requests for excess lodging, out of state travel, tuition, reimbursement for non-state employee, etc. are documented on the form DHHS-3613, Department of Health and Human Services Budget/Travel Authorization, or similar form. Approval of conferences is documented on the form DHHS-3531, Conference Authorization, or similar form.
- Requests for reimbursement are submitted on the DHHS-BD 403, Reimbursement of Travel and Other Expenses Incurred in the Discharge of Official Duty. Whenever authorization is documented on the DHHS-3613, it must be submitted with the DHHS-403.
- Requests for exception to this policy or the state budget manual should be submitted in advance as soon as the need for an exception is recognized, but no later than two (2) weeks prior to the date the approval is needed.
Forms: See Conference Authorization form DHHS-3531 Conference Authorization;
DHHS-3613 Department of Health and Human Services Budget/Travel Authorization;
DHHS-BD 403, Reimbursement of Travel and Other Expenses Incurred in the Discharge of Official Duty